Inception of the Port Clinton Elks Lodge #1718
to the 1940's there were many fraternal organizations
in Port Clinton; Masons, Eagles, K. of C., L.O.O.F., The
Moose was located above The American Bank which is now
group of men namely: Clem Lauer (local tailor), Herm Frederick,
Otto Heineman, J.G. Kolesar, Charles Martin Jr., and several
more decided to petition the grand Lodge to form a Port
Clinton Elks Lodge.
Frederick was a member of Bellevue, Ohio Lodge, Otto,
a member of Sandusky, Glen, a member of Toledo and Charles
Martin, a member of Fremont.
men had to agree to demit to the P.C. Lodge which was
the basis for a new lodge. These men and several others
who were dedicated met frequently and Toledo was the sponsoring
were 109 men signed up for charter membership in January
1947. Meetings were held above Park-Anderson store on
Perry Street and dance and special functions were held
at the Port Clinton Armory and were very formal.
the time the officers were on the "look out"
for a potential "home". Two houses on Perry
Street almost identical were located where the Island
House parking lot is now and our lodge site. This property
was for sale and some of the mentioned above provided
enough capitol for the purchase. This home had a beautiful
fireplace in the livingroom. In later years, the addition
of the lodge room and a small bar was accomplished by
selling certificates to members.
were: Exalted Ruler- Otto Heineman,
Esteemed Leading Knight- Herm Frederick,
Esteemed Loyal Knight- Charles Martin
Jr., Esteemed Lecturing Knight- George
Slaughter, Secretary- Dan Griffin, Treasurer-
Norbert Stein, Esquire- Emil Meyer, Tiler-
Harry Englebeck, Chaplin- Fred Kumm,
Inner Guard- Carlton Schwan
were: J.G. Kolesar, 3 years, Clem Lauer, 2 years and John
Lay, 1 year.
officers chairs were purchased in Mexico and donated by
Otto Heineman. He also transported them back to Port Clinton.
For many years we had a most trusted Secretary and Club
Manager, Reed Hosler, who was also Chamber of Commerce
by Charter Member Wilbur Petersen and wife Delores (Pre
Buckeye Boulevard, Our Current Location since December